Перейти к содержанию
Форум Animals NN
Авторизация  
Владислав Лазарев

Кивсяки в Нижнем

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Умерла одна самка, условия говённые, пытаюсь изменить к лучшему.

Нашёл следующую инфу:

- In captivity, millipedes spend most of their lives burrowing in and eating their substrate. Experience shows that the substrate is by far the most important aspect of any millipede setup...more important than anything else, just like water quality is critical in fishkeeping..

- Millipedes will survive much better in an airy, close to dry, and nutrient-deficient substrate than a compact, wet, and extremely rich substrate in a very humid enclosure. They will not do well in either, but will languish in the former and die in the latter. Therefore, although the substrate should be in between these two extremes it should be much closer to the former, where millipedes can survive. I think that bacteria and fungi proliferate in mucky conditions and millipedes become more susceptible to dying in a wet substrate, whereas they mainly face dehydration in a dry substrate. My point is that we want a moist and airy substrate without excessive nutrients (I will call this "lean"), in an enclosure with moderate humidity. Then feed fruits/veggies and the occasional protein.

Pet-keeper's Substrate:

Place some coir/coconut fiber/Bed-a-Beast/Ecoearth...etc. in your enclosure. A three inch layer is ideal for most species, but one inch will work. If possible, mix in some hardwood leaf litter (especially oak) and a lesser amount of crumbly (decomposing) hardwood. Add an inch layer of dry (hardwood best, or non-resinous softwood...avoid pine) leaves on top of the base substrate so the millipedes can hide in the leaf litter if they please. You should pasteurized the wood and leaves to eliminate pests. Millipedes will survive in nothing more than coconut fiber but this should only be temporary--they need some other organic matter long term. Feed fruits and vegetables if the millipedes consume them.

-What I use: The foundation of the substrate should be something that holds water and has some sand and minerals mixed in. I use cocofiber (Ecoearth) and/or peatmoss, potting soil should work, but I would try to get one that isn't black and rich, and doesn't contain manure or added fertilizers. I typically use half cocofiber and half leaves. For the leaves I use oak leaves that I collect in a regional park, and bamboo leaves from some large bamboo plants at my house. The bamboo leaves are not very edible and do 3 things: they keep the substrate airy, provide a surface for good mold to grow on--and millipedes eat some types of mold, and act as a "last resort" material. When your millipedes are eating the bamboo its time to change the substrate since there's not much left to eat! Then I add some sand. I mix the substrate all together and finally add a layer of the leaf mix on top. Try to use what you have locally! Be sure to pasteurize your materials.

Acceptable Leaves and Wood:

Oak leaves and wood are typically said to produce the best substrate. The kind of oak does not seem to matter. You can use live oak like we have on the west coast or black oak and its deciduous cousins. Just ensure that you are NEVER taking green or freshly fallen leaves. Try to take leaves which have been on the ground for a few weeks and are just starting to decompose. Avoid softwoods as they often have volatile resins which harm millipedes. Other hardwoods such as beech, maple, hickory, etc...all trees which produce nuts...should be acceptable. Make sure your leaves and wood are pesticide free! As a rule of thumb, if no insect seems interested in the dead leaves or wood of a species of tree (no "bite marks"), stay away. The converse is also applicable: if insects seem to relish the deadwood and leaves of a species of tree or plant, your millipedes probably will too. I'm certain that other types of plant material can be used as substrate (just like coconut fiber, rose leaves, bamboo, and aspen shavings) but hardwood material is always recommended by millipede keepers.

Substrate Pasteurization

Some people recommend sterilizing substrate before use. I have found that whenever I sterilize substrate bad things happen. Either I get a mold boom that looks really nasty or a giant mite and disease outbreak that kills several millipedes. If you do chose to sterilize, please introduce some springtails or parasitic mites such as Hypoaspis miles for good measure. Avoid using isopods/pillbugs/rolly-pollies if you want your millipedes to breed (they can eat millipede young according to some sources and multiply at astounding rates, but otherwise they are excellent janitors.) Instead of sterilization, try...

Substrate pasteurization! This method will rid your substrate of harmful organisms such as mites, worms, nematodes, spiders, termites, earwigs...etc., etc. while leaving it micro-biologically balanced! Many bacteria survive this process and blooms of unwanted pests will not be as common as with sterilization! The whole substrate needs to reach a minimum of 160* F, but 180* F works faster and once the entire substrate has reached that temperature (use a meat thermometer,) 30 more minutes of cooking time is sufficient to ensure safe substrate. Use a standard kitchen oven for the heat and temperature control and a large metal container to hold the substrate. You can safely cook dry leaves, wood, and compost without fear of fire. On a side-note, most commercial composts and potting soils undergo a pasteurization process and are safe to use from the get go unless they've been sitting in a bug-ridden area.

Changing the Substrate:

You should avoid disturbing millipedes that are burrowed in the substrate because you could crush them when they are molting. When molting a millipede's exoskeleton is soft and they are easily squished. However, if the substrate has shrunk in size, you see feces all over the surface, and it doesn't look like there's much left to eat in there you need to move all the animals to fresh substrate. I very gently scrape at the surface of the substrate and remove all the animals I find to a temporary container, placing large molting individuals by themselves and being very careful not to disturb them. I then dump the old substrate into a container and keep it there for several months to insure I didn't miss any millipedes or millipede eggs. I place new substrate in the enclosure, and put all the millipedes back in, being sure to make a shallow burrow for molting animals which I carefully put back and cover lightly with substrate. You must be extremely careful with molting millipedes!!! Exoskeleton defects typically arise in animals which were disturbed when they were molting.

Enclosure

Nearly any escape-proof container will do. The most popular enclosure is the ten gallon aquarium/terrarium: large species enjoy a bigger enclosure but one can keep reasonable numbers of any species in a ten gallon. Keep in mind that millipedes enjoy some substrate depth (2-6 inches) and some species such asArchispirostreptus gigas love to climb. To an extent, bigger is better! Certainly larger species will require more room.

Also bear in mind that fungus gnats and fruit flies may become a problem, so airtight containers in which a hole is cut and fine mesh screen is installed are best for YOUR sanity...you don't want gnats breeding in the millipede cage and flying all over the house. Using a gnat-proof container will keep gnats out of the millipede cage in the first place, and if the should get in at least they mostly stay in. Gnat proof is a non-negotiable in my book, since millipede substrate and fruits fed to the millipedes make the terrarium an ideal breeding ground for fungus gnats and fruit flies! Please read my Population Theory discussed on PROBLEMS for some thoughts on Fungus Gnats.

Humidity and Ventilation

Ventilation is more necessary and a more important parameter than humidity. This is because millipedes can always burrow into their substrate where the humidity will be very high, but if the humidity above the substrate is also very high they cannot escape to a dry area if they want to and are then more susceptible to disease. Ventilation reduces makes the enclosure less favorable for microorganisms which can harm your animals, and prevents suffocation from Co2 and other gas buildup. Species originating in the deserts require more ventilation and therefore more frequent substrate watering than species from the tropics which love very moderate humidity of around 60% (those humidity meters are often woefully inaccurate!!). The best way to balance ventilation and humidity is to make sure the surface of the substrate stays moist for at least a week but that the sides of the container are never fogged with condensation. The correct ventilation may vary by species, but open screen covers for enclosures are usually unacceptable. If you want to use a screen cover, place some cardboard or cloth inside the screen to cut down on the ventilation experienced and at the same time keep the gnats out.

Temperature

Normal room temperature is fine. If you are comfortable then your millipedes are comfortable. Heat pads are usually unsuitable for millipede enclosures as they heat and dry out the substrate--the very place the millipedes would retreat to if the air was too hot. Lower than 65 is a problem for most tropical species and higher than 80 can be fatal for all species. 75 is a good target temperature. Bear in mind that keeping your millipedes on the higher side of the spectrum speeds their metabolisms. Lower; they grow slower.

Food

Millipedes enjoy eating their substrate and any fruits, vegetables, or powdered food you provide. In my view it is very important to supplement millipedes with a variety of foods besides their substrate, but you should not feed more than they can eat--If you have several millipedes, one apple core is far too much. With experience you'll know how much to feed. Some foods that are readily eaten include cucumbers, apples, pears, melons, berries, fruits, carrots, mushrooms, potatoes, and even rose petals (make sure they have been washed and are free of insecticide.) Apple cores, melon rinds, fruit pits, avacado skins (they eat the leftover meat), etc. which would be tossed otherwise are great food. Although millipedes are decomposers, its best to feed them fresh food, and then let the food decompose for awhile in the enclosure before removing it. Leaving food in for 2 days before removal is usually fine, but depending on how many millipedes you have and how much food you feed you may be able to put food in and never take it out. But if food is rotting in a stinky sort of way its time to take it out. This balance is found by trial and error, and experienced keepers have no trouble with feeding--sometimes less is more. Millipedes will also readily consume dry protein: dry fish, dog, or cat food should be added on occasion. In summary, feeding your animals something besides the substrate will help keep them healthy.

Water

None needed--well, at least you don't need to provide a water bowl. Millipedes get moisture through the food they eat and their environment--make sure the substrate it is moist, but not too wet. A dry top surface is OK and much better than having a pool of standing water at the bottom of the terrarium. Only if you are attempting to combat a fungal or mite problem (and place the animals in a small cage with dry paper towels and a cap of water) should you offer water.

Decorations

None needed! Your millipedes will appreciate it if you spend your time and money preparing a nutritious substrate. However, indoor plants can be added to the enclosure or whatever you like! Avoid rocks. Keep anything heavier than a few ounces out of enclosures with baby millipedes as heavy objects can crush baby millipedes, or even adult millipedes like pancakes when they molt (it is very sad!). Ensure plant have low light requirements, are inexpensive and not poisonous since the millipedes could eat them. Use common sense.

Light

Millipedes are mostly nocturnal and run from light! You can provide some light for low-light live plants, such as the jade succulent, but limit it to a few hours a day, watch the heat from the bulbs, and don't expect to see millipedes during this time. If you want to see your millipedes out and about you should take a look after the enclosure has been in total darkness for a few hours for best results.

Ne всё очень хорошо расписано.

Буду делать всё, что в моих силах.

Изменено пользователем Владислав Лазарев

Поделиться сообщением

Зачем столько копипаста? Проще было ссылку дать. Да и не читает тут никто на других языках)))

Поделиться сообщением

А мертвую самку- не выкидывать ( высушить или в спирт!!!)

Как сушить, чтобы не испортилась?

по-любому там клещи и всякая мелкая живность на ней живёт и пирует сейчас..

По поводу копипаста, не удержался, извините, уж больно круто и подробно всё описано.

И сейчас любой может хоть и криво, но перевести онлайн-переводчиком.

А так да, язык даже для меня сложноват, постоянно обращался к словарю пока статью читал.

Зато вообще все вопросы отпали. Что, где, как , куда, когда, всё расписано, про пастеризацию опять же.

Планирую менять им ёмкость на более просторную. Нужно позаботиться о вентиляции, она должна быть ОЧЕНЬ хорошей.

В выхи пойду в парк клён собирать, как раз снег пока не лёг и он погнил немного на сырости.

Кокос мелкий уже есть, потом буду пастеризовать всё уличное и мешать лист\кокос\древесина по 1\3 каждого, сверху сфагнум и укрытия.

Неплохо бы было мела или известняка подмешать ещё в грунт, но не знаю где его достать.

Поделиться сообщением

А так да, язык даже для меня сложноват, постоянно обращался к словарю пока статью читал.

Зато вообще все вопросы отпали. Что, где, как , куда, когда, всё расписано, про пастеризацию опять же.

Нужно было сюда перевод размещать. Для многих полезной информацией оказалось, да и поправили, если бы возникли трудности перевода)))

Поделиться сообщением

Нужно было сюда перевод размещать. Для многих полезной информацией оказалось, да и поправили, если бы возникли трудности перевода)))

Набивать такой текст долго, да ешё и постоянно править уточнения, менять местами слова.. В целом, неблагодарное занятие.

Проще любому нажать Ctrl+C и Ctrl+V в translate.google.

Поделиться сообщением

К началу выходных умерла одна крупная самка и два маленьких с жёлтыми пятнами.

Занялся плотно улучшением жилищных условий.

Заранее, ещё на неделе, собрал листья и суки клёна, берёзы, положил сушиться. Всё было уже немного подгнившим, древесина нужна такая, чтобы руками крошилась.

Всё это дело я пастеризовал в течение часа в духовке при температуре 70 (30мин), 90 (ещё 30 мин) градусов.

Размочил мелкий кокосовый субстрат.

Взял пластиковое ведро такого размера, чтобы сделать субстрат глубиной с кивсяка, где-то 15см. Диаметр ведра больше двух длин самой крупной особи.

В ведре сделал очень много дырок на всю высоту субстрата плюс ещё несколько см запаса. Крышка пока отсутствует, позже будет плотная с большим количеством вентиляции, для крупных насекомых она критична.

Все компоненты, т.е. листья, древесину, мелкий кокос, перемешал в пропорциях 1 к 3.

Очень хорошо увлажнил.

Сверху добавил сфагнум, крупные куски древесины и коры, кокос как укрытия.

Ничего тяжёлого сверху класть строго нельзя, т.к. они линяют под землёй и очень легко их раздавить.

Фотки процесса:

xW3rR6XkbGI.jpgxHjZ1mY3g5A.jpgs8o76MR-l5M.jpgz6pTBX5utLc.jpgA77QJzMYg_g.jpg02cWA27RNoI.jpg

Не прошло и пяти минут как на поверхности не осталось ни одного кивсяка, все довольно шустро зарылись и пошли путешествовать по своим новым хоромам.

Приятно, когда твою работу оценили (=

О мелких ребятах я тоже не забыл, улучшил и им условия. Всё так же, но в меньших масштабах. Контейнер для них использовал из под крупных.

jRwQ119tQ44.jpgwG9GYr6ePRQ.jpg

Вроде и они остались довольны, с удовольствием жрут кору и древесину. На яблоко и хурму даже не смотрят.

• Like 3

Поделиться сообщением

грибы пробовал?

только те, что уже росли на сучьях трухлявых. Они их в первую очередь объедают.

Шампиньонами их кормить слишком жирно, я и сам их с удовольствием поем.

Если будет какой отход в будущем, конечно им подкину, а чтобы прямо специально покупать... Не, я не так богат.

Вот доживут они у меня до след осени, все червивые грибы и обрезки, которые найдём, заморожу и буду понемногу им выдавать (=

Жаль в этом году слишком поздно обо всём этом задумался, было бы у них припасов на всю зиму.

Куча отходов была при осеннем сборе.

Поделиться сообщением

Не знаю по каким причинам, но, похоже, ещё одна самка загибается. Лежит наверху, в укрытии под кокосом, свернувшись.

Чуть шевелится телом, чуть лапами, все остальные лапы статичны. вообще плохо реагирует на прикосновения.

Выглядит так, что она на последнем издыхании )))=

Есть очень маленькая вероятность, что это линька, но надежды практически нет, т.к. линять они должны под землёй.

Из остальных видел только одного самца, он был вполне бодр, очень быстро зарылся, когда я его потрогал.

Другие все тусят в грунте, не знаю что с ними.

Среди мелких потерь пока не наблюдал. Правда это не значит, что они не загнулись где-то под субстратом...

Беда, товарищи, очень печально..

Шансы на расплод тают на глазах.

Болюсы из старого контейнера я выкидывать не стал, т.к. там, возможно, есть яйца, положил их в субстрат в новый контейнер.

Поделиться сообщением

Прошёл месяц с момента переселения в новые условия, для истории.

Плоские тусят в основном наверху или в сфагнуме, не видел, чтобы зарывались, больше потерь не было.

Красные мелкие всё время внутри или изредка выползают, не знаю, живы ли все.

Крупные периодически появляются на поверхности с наступлением темноты, в основном шастают по норам, коих уже нарыли огромное количество.

Последняя самка всё ещё жива. Теперь она имеет возможность спрятаться от надоедливых самцов

Я почти уверен, что другие две погибли не из-за условий, а из-за постоянного секс террора и невозможности укрыться от него.

vFao0ltPiYM.jpg

Чтобы найти крупных, пришлось поднять укрытия.

самец:

NcQ0I4wmqV0.jpg

самка:

ZfrEornTJmY.jpg

Момент про питание:

Чего я им только не предлагал: яблоки\свёклу\морковь\тыкву\кабачок дачного производства, грибы размоченные (червивые участки), банан, ананасовые шкурки.

До переселения в субстрат ели всё, после - всё плесневеет, ничего не едят. Очень редко кто-то приложится.

На форуме писали, что всё вышеперечисленное для них вкусняшки и не может быть основной пищей, что они питаются опадом и трухлёй.

Всё равно есть сомнения, достаточно ли они едят..

Поделиться сообщением

Кстати, может кто определит моего? Привез из Китая, горы Чжанцзяцзе.

DSC_6869.jpg

DSC_6870.jpg

• Like 1

Поделиться сообщением

Недавно чистил ёмкость с мелкими и решил проверить, есть ли вообще кто живой под субстратом ибо не видел мелких красных уже очень давно, какого же было моё удивление, когда я увидел 4ых из них примерно в одном месте.

Они очень быстро свернулись в калачики, тревожить их больше не стал, присыпал субстратом и оставил.

на следующий день видел как двое выходили на поверхность.

Чёрно-жёлтый многосвяз остался в единственном экземпляре )))=

Тут он хавает остатки гекконьей линьки, у нас всё в дело идёт (=

RNQKPpVh7Hc.jpgLkNdJryo_No.jpg

Нашёл видео позопрошлогоднее из Индии, летали туда в ноябре 14го, там встретили многосвязов, ну ОЧЕНЬ похожих на тех, что из Тая, прям один в один.

Посмотрите, отпишите, что думаете:

Поделиться сообщением

очень на моих похожи, жаль, что только один остался, но живёт, кушает..

Поделиться сообщением

Вчера была ещё одна маленькая радость - достижение.

У мелких красных кивсяков (всё таки это отдельный вид) были замечены крошечные, коротенькие, белые детки.

Сфотографировать пока не удалось. Как получится, приложу фото.

А пока фото родителей:

gvOOhCQOCuw.jpg

Поделиться сообщением

Поздравляю с пополнением!

Поделиться сообщением

Средние гады, предположу что Pseudospirobolellus avernus (Butler, 1876)

Похоже я нашёл их в одной из публикаций.

Вероятно, это Trigoniulus corallinus (Gervais, 1847) [Diplopoda: Spirobolida: Trigoniulidae]

пруф:

Trigoniulus corallinus (Gervais, 1847)

Один в один как мои.

Ещё их обзывают Rusty milipede.

А вот так выглядит яйцо у кивсяка - один в один с его же собственной какашкой, неотличимо вообще. (при увеличении видно чётче, кэп)

Случайно обнаружилось.

Я всегда думал, что у них в коконе много яиц, ан нет, один кокон - один кивсячок. Выходит, что они не особо плодовиты и потомства много ждать не стоит. Так что, если у вас есть кивсяки, не меняйте им грунт, если хотите расплода.

Первые малыши появились спустя 4-6 месяцев.

IrDAopRKbto.jpg

Поделиться сообщением

ВНИМАНИЕ ЗНАТОКИ

Заснял я тут на видео со вспышкой своих ржавых кивсяков с детишками и ужаснулся :blink:

Я видел, что у них там дополнительная жизнь идёт полным ходом раньше, но не знал, что настолько. По фотографиям этого было не видно.

Кто это у них живёт, не вредны ли они?

На видео более наглядно: Trigoniulus corallinus millipede with offsprings -

Вот несколько фотографий: у них регулярно прорастают всякие росточки и создают там уют (=

Nt1L44AxopE.jpg7Ozqa3qAbxI.jpgtpeN8lvgMHE.jpgtHsWTNT1e0A.jpg

Поделиться сообщением

Знаток в городе только ты))) Раз размножаются, значит все гуд.

Развел таки дикарей))) красавчег)))

Поделиться сообщением

По поводу идентификации вида- надо к спецам обращаться

Поделиться сообщением

Пожалуйста, войдите, чтобы комментировать

Вы сможете оставить комментарий после входа в

Войти
Авторизация  

• Создать...